Introduction

Started by KE0WVA, November 29, 2019, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KE0WVA

Hello, my name is Stephan, I'm a radio amateur from Minnesota, USA. I have experience with electronics prototyping, some light embedded C programming, 3D printing, and PCB layout in kicad. I'm excited to contribute to this project any way that I can!

faydrus

Hello,

My name's Dan, and I'm a radio amateur from Albuquerque, NM, USA. I'm the lead developer for the QMesh Project (https://github.com/faydr/QMesh), which is developing a synchronized, flooded mesh using LoRa. I'm hoping that this mesh network scheme will allow for a rapidly self-healing mesh network that can stream data in support of voice. Basically, the end goal would be an alternative to FM voice where every radio (mobile, HT, repeater, etc.) can serve as a repeater.

I think our two projects have a lot in common -- we're both using/planning to use Codec2 as the vocoder, and we're both using STM32F7 MCU's for the protocol processing. There's probably a lot of opportunities for collaboration.

BTW -- I saw you made an QSO with someone in Ramsey, NJ. I grew up in that town.

-Dan Fay KG5VBY

MBS

Hi everybody,

My name is John from the Netherlands and i'm interested in electronics in general but mainly HAM related.;)
Since 1992 i am licensed but i was active way before that. Repairing stuff is what i like the most but  a project once in a while is always good to re-focus at important things.
I think that DV is the future and this M17 project looks and sounds very promising....so lets start building...

John

SP5WWP

Hello everyone!
I'm glad you are here, helping me out. I'm Wojciech and I have started this project a year ago. I really don't like the fact, that DMR uses anything proprietary. That's not a good thing for hams. We need an open standard (ok, DMR is one) along with an open hardware too. Let's make a solid digital system, made by hams, for hams!

73, SP5WWP

pe1rxq

Hi,

My name is Jeroen Vreeken, I am from The Netherlands and a ham: PE1RXQ
I have been working with radio linking software for a while now: see dmlinking.net even in combination with codec2.
The repeater PI2EHV actually was the first to support freedv 2400B on its receiver besides analog FM.

I think M17 nicely matches my personal projects especially since it covers parts I never seem to have time for..
I would like to add support for it to my DML repeater linking system and I think M17 could use some things I created already.
Like:
- ETH_AR: a way to encode callsigns into 48bit Ethernet compatible addresses
- FPRS: A packet reporting system (a bit like APRS, but better ofcourse) for use on freedv data channels
- FreeDV data channel: I added the data channel code to freedv modes 2400A, 2400B and 800XA it allows an ethernet compatible data channel to be interleaved in voice data

DB9MAT

Hi,

My name is Mathis and I'm based in Berlin, Germany. I'm a DIY enthusiast and have quite some experience in KiCAD. Some of you probably know the MMDVM_HS_Hat (https://github.com/mathisschmieder/MMDVM_HS_Hat) that I designed.

I'm very much interested in this project as a fully open, DIY-able digital hand-held transceiver is something I dreamed about for quite some time :)

Currently, I'm working on re-drawing the TR-9 schematics and board files in KiCAD and will probably do a few small changes, mainly to the power and audio system. I'll upload the KiCAD project to Github soon so that we can colaborate!

Best 73s,
Mathis, DB9MAT

SmittyHalibut

Well, all the cool kids are introducing themselves, so I guess I should too!  :-)

Hello!  I'm Mark Smith, or Smitty, or @SmittyHalibut on Twitter.  KR6ZY.  I've been a ham since 1992 or so.  I'm a somewhat regular guest on the Ham Radio Workbench podcast, and have an accidental YouTube channel that I'm not good about posting to regularly.

I'm not a fan of AMBE (or any closed system) in Amateur radio, and have been thinking about modifying a hackable HT (eg: MD380) to do CODEC2 instead of AMBE, but I don't have the DSP skills, or the time to develop them, to make that happen.  Like most of you, I got very excited when I read about M17 and came right over to read about it.

I'm currently working on the on-air protocol for M17, trying to make it both flexible and efficient.
73 de KR6ZY
-Mark

m0nit

Hi everyone,

My name is Jan, and I'm a HAM originally licensed in England (M0NIT). I'm interested in digital radio comms, and have been looking for something that speaks the Codec2 for a while. I'd love to get involved in this in some capacity. So I can design PCBs (but do not have extensive experience in electronics or RF design), can write embedded software (as a hobbyist, so looking to learn more about this space), can do general backend/devops stuff if needed. I don't have any experience in doing DSP, but would be willing to learn if required.

73 de M0NIT

SO3ALG

Hi everybody,

My name is Niko, 20ty years old. I have a callsign since I was 15teen.
I'm interested in electronic design(this also includes RF design). I'm kind to learn a verilog, and practical FPGA design soon.
Now I work on a new version of M17_ANL in Kicad and want to release it soon on M17 forum.
I'm also improving my C programming skills.
In my opinion it's an amazing chance to connect many of our passions - ham radio,
radioelectronics, programming, communication protocols, open source movement and others!
I hope project we work on will be better alternative to commercial digital systems, at least for radioamateurs!

73! de SO3ALG

KD9KJV

Hello all! I'm Chris KD9KJV from Wisconsin. I'm a long-time web developer who's just getting into electronics and amateur radio (licensed since 2018). I'm very interested in learning more about radio electronics, microcontrollers, and similar. This sounds like a great project.

dc7gb

Hello,

my name is Thomas and I'm located in Berlin, GERMANY. I'm interested in this project because in my opinion ham-systems should be free of any patents or closed algorithms! Therefore AMBE is not the right codec for us. I also support codec2 by David Rowe and have tested it with two of his SM1000.

To my background: I'm sysop of the 23cm FM-repeater DB0BLN, located in JO62NK on a telecomunication tower 220m above sea level. This repeater is wire-linked to the 70cm and 2m repeaters DB0SP. All of theese use a very special digital addition called STT (http://dc7gb.darc.de/stt/index.html) which uses a -26dB subtone of 35Hz modulated in 4-dpsk (specially shaped) to send ham related data (call, time, location, frequency, weather, text-messages, and other telemetry) at a rate of 70bps or in advanced mode in 140bps. One major aspect is that there is no interference with the user-audio! It works fairly good down to a -120dBm RX-level (see video on my homepage). Because of the low data rates a very compact coding was necessary. A special designed 2m-TRX for STT called SuSE is published in the german ham-journal FUNKAMATEUR 12/2015, page 1320-1323 and 01/2016, page 53-57. Currently a compatible 23cm version is under construction and for the repeater-cluster a STT-gateway to YSF and POCSAC. But unfortunately I've got only 24h hours a day too ;)

I would like to help bringing the m17-project to success.

73 de Thomas, DC7GB

Eliot

Hi folks!
My name is Eligiusz, I live in Warsaw. I haven't callsign yet, but I am HAM radio enthusiast since I remember. I work as an electronics designer and bare metal programmer. When I've heard about m17 for the first time, I realize this project has a great potential to replace DMR, so I try to support design as good as I can. I think, that everyone of us will have a chance to learn something intresting by working on M17 project.

Eligiusz

bullfroge

Howdy!
  I'm a Mechanical Engineer & Computer Science graduate, currently working as a Tool & Die maker / Machinist in Connecticut, USA. I am an open source enthusiast and I think M17 resolves a lot of my reservations with DMR. I think I can help with the 3D Printing and CAD/CAM aspects of this project, so just let me know how I can help!
  KC1AYO

kc4zvw

Hello,

I'm a Linux system admin that was a Data System Tech in the U.S. Navy.  Belong to a local Makerspace (FamiLAB) that is the greater Orlando area and have interests in Ham radio, basic electronics and embedded controllers.

KC4ZVW radio pages

David
--
David Billsbrough (KC4ZVW)  Chuluota, Florida  Grid Loc: EL98kp
Web: http://www.kc4zvw.us --- Blog: http://kc4zvw.wordpress.com

N6NZ

Hello!  My name is Dave.  First licensed as WN0IZX 48 years ago.

I have been looking around for an interesting SDR or other project to get involved with, and am very excited to have discovered M17!  Ham radio hardware and software should be open source, full stop.  This has been a big gripe of mine since D-Star was first announced.  I am a big advocate of open hardware and open software.  (I think my first patch to an open source project was a contribution to flex, sometime in the early 80's.)

At this point, I am going to look around to see if there is something that looks like a useful way to contribute -- so far I haven't really spent any quality time poking through the repos.  My background: B.S. in Computer Engineering, M.S. Electrical Engineering.  My early professional career was as a CPU logic designer, but that was a while back.  The last CPU where I had any detail understanding of the internals was the Pentium II, which was a long time ago.  Since then I have done a lot of part-time contract work in embedded software (C for AVR's and STM32's), contract software development in Python, mostly for robotics, and a small amount of full-time employment doing embedded C and system level Python for robotics.  A lot of my work lately has been crafting internet protocol translators in Python.

In hobby time, I also do robotics, and dabble in 3D printing.  I have a Modix Big60 printer that currently has a jammed print head... I need to make time to fix that.  I am also a beginning hobby machinist, and have done a small amount of hobby-level injection molding.  My ham radio club is the Northern California Contest Club, which focuses on HF Radiosport.

Going way back to graduate school, I did some advanced course work in networking and error correcting codes -- but that was several years ago and a lot has been invented since then.  Anyway, I will probably get started by reading the M17 Protocol Spec.

73, Dave N6NZ