TR-9 - case

Started by SP5WWP, December 01, 2019, 03:41:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SP5WWP

December 01, 2019, 03:41:02 pm Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:18:01 am by SP5WWP
I think it would be nice to have a case similar to this one:

There should be two versions of this radio. One with a display and one without it. The one without might look just like that BD300 above. Of course, we don't want a 1:1 copy, that's just for reference.

SP5WWP

I'm bumping this thread, so everyone can see my edit. I know there are some folks with 3D modelling knowledge here.

m0nit

Can we reuse an existing case? I bet whoever makes the MD380 has a mould and can churn them out at ca no cost.

SP5WWP

OFC we can, but the MD380 looks cheap to me.

m0nit

Well - whatever case is to your liking.

My point being rather than design a case from scratch, reuse a case for a chinese product already on the market. It'll be very cheap to source.

bullfroge

I think desining around an already existing case would add unnecessary complexity to the electronics design. I would think while you are prototyping, 3d printing a case would be the way to go, even if it compromises some aesthetics. Also, if you are using a 3rd party's case, if they make any internal changes, it can create issues sourcing the original design and you will may need to redesign your hardware to fit the new design.

SP5WWP

December 08, 2019, 08:40:14 pm #6 Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:43:50 pm by SP5WWP
@bullfroge
It would be great if you could start designing a case for the TR-9. We are still working on the hardware, however.

bullfroge

Do you have preliminary models for the hardware yet?

SP5WWP

December 10, 2019, 07:48:15 pm #8 Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:53:34 pm by SP5WWP
We are going to change the board dimensions a little and select a display. You could propose something anyway :) I'm working on the hardware with DB9MAT, but he's busy now.

bullfroge

I think its a little early to do much case design. Once you have the board down a bit, and the display figured out, then we can start building a case around it. If you can generate a 3d model, that would also be hugely helpful. I plan on using Autodesk Fusion 360 for the CAD work since it has good collaboration tools and is free for personal use. Also let me know if you have thoughts on specific push buttons to use, and how many there will be, etc.

SP5WWP

We have almost finished developing the mainboard, the dimensions are approximately 45x105mm.